The Royal Business College provides a comprehensive range of services to cater for all our Students' needs.

RBC Business Students

Sreeram Tiriveedula
RBC Diploma in Entrepreneurship (Level 7)

Ni Mengjiao
RBC Diploma in Entrepreneurship (Level 7)

RBC Business Graduates

Kevin Ding
Business Owner, Auckland
National Diploma in Business (Level 5)

Karanjit Singh
Restaurant Manager, Christchurch
National Diploma in Business (Level 6)

Guidance and Support

Studying away from home can raise many questions for students and Royal Business College has many ways to assess your needs for guidance and support, and to meet those needs so that you can study  and achieve your goals successfully. Induction and internal services are free of charge, other services are at students own cost.


  • Homestay questionnaire to tell us what your accommodation needs are.
  • On arrival we introduce you to the host family we have chosen to suit your needs.
  • Ongoing checks of placement and welfare; free problem solving service.


  • Airport meeting service with transport to your accommodation is available on request.
  • Placement test to establish your English level.
  • Interview with the Principal to plan your course of study.
  • Introduction to local services e.g. bank, library, Information Centre, medical centre.
  • Students Handbook, and College facilities.

Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL)

RPL is credit granted towards your current Royal Business College programme from tertiary studies you have previously completed. RPL is sometimes referred to as transfer or cross credit and gives you credit towards your current Royal Business College programme for unit standards/modules or papers  that you completed in another programme at Royal Business College or another tertiary educational institution. More information on RPL is provided during the interview with the Principal/Director of Studies during the orientation programme.

Internal counselling

  • Academic – course planning and advice.
  • Further studies – University, High School.
  • Immigration – visa extensions and enquiries.
  • Homestay – welfare.
  • Day to day matters, e.g. ID Card, local services.

External counselling

Our administration staff are able to refer you to independent counsellors for help with any other personal needs or problems you may have. This counselling can be arranged in English, or in your first language if preferred.


Guardianship can be arranged for students under 18 years of age to ensure their welfare and to ensure peace of mind for parents. A choice of guardians is available, from internal College personnel to independent individuals and service companies. All are se;ected for their professionalism and their ability to provide a high standard of care to students.


Medical and Travel Insurance is compulsory as medical attention in another country can be very expensive.

Accommodation Options

Royal Business College recommends that students stay in a New Zealand homestay, where they can get a feeling for New Zealand life and culture, and where they can practise their English every day. There are other options open to students: Flats: A two bedroom unfurnished flat in central Christchurch costs an average of $250 per week. (In Auckland it costs $275). Furnished flats cost an additional $30 – $40 per week. Moving into a flat involves other expenses beside the rent, e.g. bond (weekly rental X 2), agent’s fee (rent X 1), electricity bond ($200), telephone connection charge. Flat Sharing: This is a more economical way of flatting. To get a room in a shared flat costs $70 to $110 per week, plus expenses which include electricity, phone, and food. A bond of 1 or 2 weeks’ rent is also often charged. Temporary Accomodation: The best-known hostel is the YMCA. The rental for long-term accommodation is $136 – $146 per week. There are other hostels with more basic facilities which charge $60 (4-person share room) to $100 (twin share) per week. Motels and Hotels are also available. Costs vary from approximately $80 – $500 per night. Homestays: All homestay accommodation arranged by Royal Business College has been assessed by the College and meets the requirements under the Code of Practice for Pastoral Care for International Students.


Full details of visa and permit requirements, advice on rights to employment in New Zealand while studying, and reporting requirements are available through the New Zealand Immigration Service, and can be viewed on their website at

Please click here for more information related to Working on a Student Visa.

Please click here for more information related to Current minimum wage rates.

Eligibility for Health Services

Most international students are not entitled to publicly funded health services while in New Zealand. If you receive medical treatment during your visit, you may be liable for the full costs of that treatment. Full details on entitlements to publicly-funded health services are available through the Ministry of Health, and can be viewed on their website at

Accident Insurance

The Accident Compensation Corporation provides accident insurance for all New Zealand citizens, residents and temporary visitors to New Zealand, but you may still be liable for all other medical and related costs. Further information can be viewed on the ACC website at

Medical and Travel Insurance for Students

International students must have appropriate and current medical and travel insurance while studying in New Zealand.